Melamine VS. Molded Bamboo®
Melamine Vs. Molded Bamboo®
Get the facts about Melamine dinnerware and dishware and learn why Molded Bamboo® is the next big thing.
So what exactly is Melamine?
Melatline resin is created by combining melatline, and organic compound, with formaldehyde using heat and pressure.
Are Melamine Dishes Safe?
- According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the answer to the question,“ Are melamine dishes safe ?” is yes, but with some restrictions.
- The process of making melatline dinnerware leaves some of the chemical in the plastic, which can leech out very slowly over time into food and drink that comes in contact with the dishes. This is especially common when it comes to hot or acidic substances (microwaves a nono! Same with acidic fruits and juices)
- Heat increases the existing risk of the melamine migrating into the food to an unacceptable level.
Stains & Durability
- Melamine products often develop stains over time. Once the stain appears, it's quite diffcult to get rid of, subsequently to the staining problem, melamine can also be scratched.
- Melamine tableware is nearly impossible to break.The material will often chip around edges if it is handled roughly or without care.
Why isn't Melamine microwave or oven safe?
- They are not microwave safe or oven proof-exposing the dishes to extreme heat can cause the release of these toxins
How did FDA decide what level of melamine in food doesn’t pose a risk to health?
- The risk assessment was conducted by scientists from FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition and FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, and included a review of the scientific literature on melamine toxicity. Animal studies also provided valuable information for this work. The assessment underwent peer review by a group of experts identified by an independent contractor.
What problems can melamine cause if people eat or drink food contaminated with it?
- Products with melamine contamination above the levels noted in FDA’s risk assessment may put people at risk of conditions such as kidney stones and kidney failure, and some cases of death. Signs of melamine poisoning may include irritability, blood in urine, little or no urine, signs of kidney infection, and / or high blood pressure.
Molded Bamboo® (Molded Bamboo™)
So what exactly is Molded Bamboo®?
Molded Bamboo® Is a patented technology FREE of plastic, melamine, BPA and Safes for humans and pets. Molded Bamboo® is produced with rice starch, and our patened all natural plant based binder, as well as well as bamboo sawdust and bamboo fibers made from fully matured bamboo in well-managed forests. As strong as melamine but 100% chemical and toxin free - making it an entirely safe item to eat, serve, and cook with.
Strong & Versatile
- Bamboo is actually a grass, but can be as strong as steel
- Lightweight & easy to clean
- Bamboo is naturally stain resistant
- Creating products out of bamboo aids in cost effective and ecologically responsible alternative to the common issue of clearing our world's rainforest. Bamboo grows to a harvestable height of about 60 feet in just 3-5 years.
- Bamboo naturally replenishes itself by continuously sending up new shoots - does not require replanting!
Health & Safety
- Molded Bamboo® products do not contain any of the harmful chemicals found in PVC, poly-carbonate and other plastics, yet they are just as strong and versatile.
- Made from fully mature bamboo raised in well-managed forests, produced with rice starch and an all natural plant based binder making it an alternative to plastic that’s light on the planet and healthy for you and your family.
- Absolutely no BPA's or Formaldehyde in our Molded Bamboo®
Why isn't Molded Bamboo® Microwave or Oven Safe?
- Because hot spots & cracking may occur, Molded Bamboo® is not microwave or oven safe - HOWEVER will NOT leach chemicals when exposed to heat or acids (because there's no chemicals to be leached!)
Why Molded Bamboo™ is the Ultimate Ecofriendly Choice
Our production and manufacture process is done 100% completely without toxins or chemicals. We use only mature bamboo plants harvested from well-maintained bamboo forests.
Having being made from 100% ecofriendly & plant based materials, Molded Bamboo™ is completely biodegradable, impacting landfill levels and toxins being leached into our dirt and soils.
Molded Bamboo™ items are all extremely easy to wash while bamboo naturally resists stains
Facts & info gathered from:
Bamboo Utensils VS Wood Utensils
Bamboo utensils have increasingly become more popular over the years. More and more people are turning to bamboo instead of wood for loads of reasons!
Unlike wood, bamboo is not a tree, but actually a grass - but don't be fooled! Bamboo was actually used as reinforcement for concrete instead of steel at one point, and was also used to support bridges (comparably just as strong as steel).
Bamboo can grow as much as 35 inches in 24 hours vs 3' to 4' per year for trees that harvest wood
An entire bamboo forest can be regenerated in three to five years
Bamboo reaches it's full level of maturity before harvesting - about 5-7 years (Wood is about 30 years until harvest)
Because Bamboo is naturally anti-bacterial & anti-fungal, bamboo is grown without the use of toxins, pesticides, or fertilizers, as opposed to wooden products.
Bamboo is less porous than wood, making them water resistant and stain resistant.
Bamboo is stronger than any oak, or wood, and actually has a higher *tensile strength than steel (Bamboo's tensile strength is 28,000 per square inch, and steel's strength is 23,000 per square inch)
Absorbs very little moisture, so it won't shrink unlike it's wooden counterparts.
Bamboo is harder than maple and oak which makes it the ideal material for a lighter weight, stronger, and superior choice for kitchen utensils and cutting boards when trying to decide between bamboo and wood.
Other Blogs You Might Enjoy:
Natural Home Bamboo and Molded Bamboo® makes Going Green in your kitchen so simple!
Get 15% off any Bamboo Item using code Bamboo at checkout
With the rising concern of how potentially harmful plastics can impact our bodies and our planet, Bamboo and Natural Home's Molded Bamboo® offers a healthy alternative, free from BPA's, toxic coatings, and always manufactured responsibly.
We only harvest our Bamboo when it's fully matured, and construct our Molded Bamboo® items out of only bamboo fibers and natural dyes.
*tensile strength definition: the resistance of a material to breaking under tension*