Eliminating Food Waste With The Go Green Save Green Program
Eliminating Food Waste
Most people don’t realize how much food they toss out and waste every day. Food waste can be from scraps and leftovers, vegetable peeling (like potato skins or the ends of celery stalks), or spoiled food.
Recent studies has shown that about 95% of the food we toss out ends up in landfills. Let’s do the math. For every million homes, 1.5 billion tons of organic waste gets thrown away and tossed into landfill. This is like having 22,000 Olympic sized swimming pools filled with organic materials. That’s like having a road from San Francisco to New York, 2,960 miles of organic waste! We’ve created a program to aid this growing food waste epidemic that is simple, and hassle free.
Our Go Green save Green program is aimed to reduce food waste, and this starts with you! We are giving away a free stainless steel counter top compost bin with the purchase of 150 compostable compost bags that line the inside of the compost bin for $29.99 per year.
These bags are 100% compostable, and break down within 180 days. When your compost bin and compost bag is full, simply toss it in your green waste organics bin to be collected on garbage pickup day, or toss into your outdoor compost pile. Waste management companies country-wide are joining in on the food waste efforts to help decrease landfill and reduce methane emissions.
Along with your efforts and contribution to our Go Green, Save Green Program, you will get 20% off our entire website throughout the duration of your membership along with monthly member discounts and newsletters. You will also get $5 off for each person you refer!
Some benefits of reducing food waste:
Reduces methane emissions from landfills and lowers your carbon footprint
- 7% of all global greenhouse gas emissions/3.3 billion tons of Co2 are due to food waste
- Conserves energy & resources by preventing pollution
Some ways to reduce food waste:
- Start composting at home! Reduce the waste you have control over.
- Plan before you shop – scope out your fridge and pantry so you don’t overbuy/plan meals ahead of time so you can prevent spoiled foods.
- Learn how to properly store produce so they stay fresh longer (Our veggies bags can assist with that!)
Freeze foods that you know you won’t be able to eat before its expiration
- Meats, breads, fruits
- Cook or eat whatever you have in your pantry or fridge first before you buy, this can save money and prevent food waste!
- Save and actually eat leftovers
- Wait to wash berries until you want to eat them to prevent mold (there’s a lot of little nooks, crannies, and crevices that water likes to hide in!)
- Safe, untouched or unopened food can be donated to food banks to help those who are in need of a meal
Some Other Blogs You Might Be Interested In:
Shop Ecofriendly With Us Everyday At https://www.naturalhomebrands.com/
- Gabriella De Luca